What is engagement?
Simply put, an engaged member is one with a strong emotional attachment to the parish. It could be someone who attends Mass daily, or only once a week. It could be someone away at college, or a business person who travels most of the time. It could be someone who volunteers, but it could also be a homebound person, or someone who can no longer be as active as they once were. Engagement is how you feel about your parish. Engagement is a deep sense of belonging, a sense of home.
Previously, church leaders have thought that “believing” would lead to this sense of belonging. Extensive Gallup survey research shows that the exact opposite is true: “Belonging” leads to believing. A flourishing parish will have a high percentage of engaged members, which is to say, people who have a strong sense of belonging.
Engaged members can be identified by 12 beliefs. These 12 beliefs create a strong personal bond between individuals and their parish.
- As a member of my parish, I know what is expected of me.
- In my parish, my spiritual needs are met.
- I regularly have the opportunity to do what I do best.
- In the last six months, I have received recognition or praise from someone in the parish.
- The spiritual leaders in my parish seem to care about me as a person.
- Someone in my parish encourages my spiritual growth.
- As a member of my parish, my opinions seem to count.
- The mission or the purpose of the parish makes me feel my participation is important.
- The other members of the parish are committed to spiritual growth.
- Aside from family members, I have a best friend in the parish.
- In the last six months, someone in the parish has talked to me about the progress of my spiritual growth.
- In my parish I have the opportunity to learn and grow.
Growing an Engaged Church Results of Engagement Leadership meeting: For the next two years, the engagement leadership team will focus on “In my parish I know what is expected of me” & “In my parish my spiritual
needs are met and I am encouraged to grow spiritually.”
Volunteer Opportunity: Engagement Leadership Team is looking for additional member to help plan the above-stated goals. The Team meets at 5:30pm. Interested? Call John at 206.242.4575 or
What is Engagement?
Doing church and being church
Living your strengths
How do I begin?
Clues to Your Talents
34 Signature Themes of Talent
Volunteering & Strengths
12 behaviors and attitudes
Our Engaged Church Prayer